Wherein lie my artist interviews, CD and gig reviews, and personal musings on music.

Tuesday, June 14, 2005

Mishka Adams from Miles Away

Youth should never be an impediment to making your mark in this world, a sentiment that, no doubt, jazz singer Mishka Adams relates to. At only twenty years of age, Mishka should be considered a fledgling by her (slightly) older jazz peers, but she is not. It isn't the age but the talent and the dedication to constantly let that talent flourish that set this confident young woman apart from all the pop fads that clutter our airwaves. We managed to Blackberry her in the midst of a busy gigging schedule in the UK and here's what she had to say.

Where did you grow up, the Philippines or the UK? Now that you've tasted living in both, how does it compare?
I grew up in the Philippines till I was nine years old then I studied in an English boarding school till the age of 18. It is very different being in the two places and both have their advantages. I have friends in both and I think I'll be moving back and forth a lot as I have been for a long time.

While your peers were listening to Smashing Pumpkins or other bands of the mid-90's, how on earth did you get tuned in to jazz? It's not exactly a genre for the young. Did your boarding school classmates think you were odd?
No not at all! At my school we were exposed to jazz at quite a young age. At 10 I played the sax for 3 years which was a good introduction and then when I moved schools I started singing in the jazz trio and big band. From there I started collecting cds and discovering new artists.

Your mom taught you to sing folk songs. Do you remember what your first folk song was? Your favorite folk song? What is currently your favorite jazz piece?
The first folk song I learnt was Circle Game by Joni Mitchell. She is one of my favourite folk singers. At the moment my current favourite jazz piece to sing is Love Came On Stealthy Fingers by Bob Dorough and Irene Kral.

How does it feel to be at a relatively young age and already signed to an international label?
It still surprises me every now and then when I think about it... I never expected that anything like this would happen so soon. I always thought it would take a lot longer!

I hear you used to go to Malate. What do you miss about it, now that it's been transformed into a brightly lit commercial trap?
I miss the bohemian feel about it. There used to be a lot of artists and musicians hanging around. I also miss the regular Spy gigs on wednesdays in Verve Room!

Right now you're being positioned as a jazz vocalist extraordinare. Is singing your first love or is it the saxophone?
Singing most definitely. I really enjoy the sax but it is more of a "learning instrument" for me. It is my vehicle for learning jazz. But singing is definitely my main instrument.

Some songs in your repertoire are French. Do you speak the language? What other languages do you speak?
I studied french in school for a few years and spanish as well. My spanish is better than my french though.

You use the Celina symbology in your album. Can you explain to us its significance?
It's my middle name and the name of my godmother.

A world full of boy bands or death? What would you chose?
Well I don't want to die! I'm sure there would be a way to convert all those boy bands to jazz!

What do you have to feel blue about?
Nothing!

What can we expect from Mishka Adams in the next year?
Lots more gigs and work on a new album! We will be releasing the album in the UK at the end of the year.

3 Comments:

Blogger Lionel Valdellon said...

"boy bands or death?" I like!
how about.... acne or ass warts?
bwahahahaha

lovely interview.
didn't she get introduced to jazz when she started raiding her lola's record collection? or is that a myth.

time to blackberry her again!

11:43 PM

 
Blogger Karlo said...

no need to blackberry her. she is in town for a few gigs.

1:17 AM

 
Blogger 32by18 said...

sure link away! i'll update my links list as well hehe

8:14 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home